Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Flying experiences and stories with FA

• Flying experiences and stories with FA

Posted by frankie-p on September 3, 2019 at 8:00 am

In honor of flying 11 hours, I’m curious to know what the airport is like for you? Do you generally have good experiences or bad? I would like to start a conversation of what its like to fly with FA at different levels of progression.

Whats it like to go through security and how helpful the airport staff is?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • clester

September 3, 2019 at 9:58 am

As a pilot I would recommend calling both airports and in form them of your situation, dates of travel, what type of chair/assistive devices and medications(my wife is diabetic) etc you will be needing to take with you.
    Remember to call BOTH airports(that is if it’s a round trip. Lol)
    I’ve heard horror stories and very accommodating stories with security. So, the more prepared you are the less likely of ending up in the horror story situation. More so if you are in a power chair (because of the weight and space required of them they may only allow 1 or 2 on an airplane)
    Bottom line….. Be prepared well in advance.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 3, 2019 at 1:43 pm

The airport TSA is good they just do their job and it goes by smoothly. Almost all the workers are helpful. I say almost all because one worker was pretty rude. I went from LAX to Minnesota. On the airplane the staff was really helpful and my experience went better than I expected. Make sure to bring a waterbottle on your hand and wear comfortable clothing because sitting all those hours your ass will hurt.