• FAers and Cars

Posted by Matt Lafleur on July 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Not sure how it is where you live, but in my small rural town, we depend on vehicles to get around. Transferring to and from vehicles isn’t very easy for those of us with FA. In your life, whatever your stage of progression, how do you transfer to and from vehicles? Do you have any tip[s to make the transition smoother?

Clester replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Clester

August 13, 2019 at 6:23 pm

After learning the hard way. I’ve learned to trap my wife’s legs between my knees so I can then use my legs to move her bottom half as I need to. Surprisingly how few people I’ve come across knows how to do this, even in hospitals etc.. When I first met my wife the first time I took her somewhere I couldn’t get her in the car and I, at that time, was in pretty good shape and could easily put her weight over my head. I had to call a neighbor over to help. Very embarrassing.
    Being able to control one’s bottom half is key especially when there is little or no ability to use legs.
    Another FAer I help from time to time, he has the ability to stiften up his legs to stand so to speak and that helps a lot as well. He can just “stand” and I pivot him then lean him into the seat, whether a car, chair,toilet, or his scooter.
    Give a big hug under the arms and lean back. I, after having a hernia, learned it to be much easier to lean back than to try to lift whenever possible. Crucial now since I’ve had my stroke and my left side doesn’t like to cooperate fully.