Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA FA and The Lion King?

• FA and The Lion King?

Posted by matt-lafleur on August 1, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Yesterday I saw the live-action movie The Lion King and I loved it.

I was reminded of life with FA through the movie’s message. I don’t know if that’s because this version has more philosophy in it than the original cartoon, or because I am older watching it now, but the deeper messages seemed to stand out to me. Is life a circle, one connected to everyone else, or is it a line that starts and ends randomly, so live for the moment. Hakuna Matada.

I’m thinking of writing a blog post on this.

What do you think? Is this a bad idea? Is life round or linear?

matt-lafleur replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jonathan

August 1, 2019 at 9:06 pm

I want to see the live action version, but my son Leo (11) isn’t interested. AND HIS NAME LITERALLY MEANS LION! So, yeah, that’s a little disappointing. Anyway, your questions and my opinions (well, not mine but ones I collected and keep shiny in my treasure chest)…

1. Life can seem linear. Birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, old-hood, hood-rat (actually, that might be somewhere after adolescence), and death. But that’s a shallow, temporal point of view. There’s much more to life than biology, which (haha) means the study of life. An individual can often experience a few psychological/spiritual deaths and rebirths. He or she transforms. New identity, new life. And it’s a cycle. The circle of life, bruh.

2. Transforming isn’t pleasant. Part of your psyche/spirit must die before there can be rebirth. It is for this reason that most people avoid it (until it might be thrust upon them). Hakuna Matada is hood-rat level and younger. No responsibilities, no deep meanings, not much control (so why bother?), and a lot of things seem random or a matter of luck. The spirit can get stunted and degrade into escapism and nihilism.

But when the individual voluntarily crawls onto the hot coals for transformation, he or she is taking control and maturing. That individual knows it’s scary and it’s gonna hurt, but he or she is gonna pick up and carry the heaviest weight he can (i.e., responsibility), and be king (like his father before him).

• matt-lafleur

August 1, 2019 at 9:12 pm

This comment is why I haven’t given up on you yet.
      It’s funny and a little scary to me how different we and our paths are from each other, but every now and then you sound like I hope I do.