• Coughing Symptom

Posted by matt-lafleur on March 4, 2019 at 9:17 am

One of the symptoms of FA that is so aggravating to me is that I cough often.

It is a dry cough, not like I am coughing up anything. It’s more like a reflex in my throat. It has to do with swallowing. So if I try to hold a conversation while I am eating? Then I cough a lot.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you take any type of medicine or have any tips that help suppress your cough?

jonathan replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • rogier

March 4, 2019 at 1:04 pm

It is exactly what I experienced a lot! Now that i excercise a lot and regularly fill my lungs and then hold my breath it’s almost gone 🙂

• gunnhild

March 6, 2019 at 9:52 am

I don’t have that on a daily basis, but when I get a cold I often get a dry cough that lasts long after the cold is gone.

• jonathan

May 16, 2021 at 9:28 am

Coughing’s been annoying more and more lately. I suspect it has something to do with progressive loss of sensory nerve tissues that innervate the epiglottis. Basically, my brainstem or cerebellum is losing it’s ability to sense when the epiglottis should close (rapidly, like any other reflex).

I wonder if I should adopt some sort of swallowing regimen in my daily physical training.