- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago by .
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
I didn’t get a chance to share my column with you all this week so here it is. ARTICLE I wrote about the influence my godchild and her brother have on my life. I love being an aunt and a godmother.
I have always wanted to have a bunch of kids myself. Realistically, I know this is almost financially impossible nowadays but regardless, I always dreamed of becoming a mom. After I was diagnosed with FA, all I have done is doubt myself and convince myself that I am incapable of raising children.
Do you have experience in parenthood? Do you have doubts if you will be able to care for your child?
Hi, your article was beautifully written. I can tell you parenting is hard work. Very hard. Yes, it’s physically demanding. Sleepless nights, days filled with activities, making lunch, baths, kids to school, etc etc! Lol
But, I can tell you from experience it’s only 10% physical. The rest is 90% mental. This applies to anyone whether or not they have a disability. Kids need constant attention and guidance. And not everyone is cut out for it.
And, I’ve noticed everyone has challenges – some financial, some mental, others have substance abuse, and we have a physical challenge.
So, that’s my perspective. A disability doesn’t determine the ability to be a great parent. And, believe me, kids don’t really care if you can’t go surfing or ice skating!
Friedreich’s Ataxia News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.