Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Big life lessons from tiny people

• Big life lessons from tiny people

Posted by frankie-p on January 17, 2020 at 7:00 pm

I didn’t get a chance to share my column with you all this week so here it is. ARTICLE I wrote about the influence my godchild and her brother have on my life. I love being an aunt and a godmother.

I have always wanted to have a bunch of kids myself. Realistically, I know this is almost financially impossible nowadays but regardless, I always dreamed of becoming a mom. After I was diagnosed with FA, all I have done is doubt myself and convince myself that I am incapable of raising children.

Do you have experience in parenthood? Do you have doubts if you will be able to care for your child?

cameron replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • cameron

January 18, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Hi, your article was beautifully written. I can tell you parenting is hard work. Very hard. Yes, it’s physically demanding. Sleepless nights, days filled with activities, making lunch, baths, kids to school, etc etc! Lol

But, I can tell you from experience it’s only 10% physical. The rest is 90% mental. This applies to anyone whether or not they have a disability. Kids need constant attention and guidance. And not everyone is cut out for it.

And, I’ve noticed everyone has challenges – some financial, some mental, others have substance abuse, and we have a physical challenge.

So, that’s my perspective. A disability doesn’t determine the ability to be a great parent. And, believe me, kids don’t really care if you can’t go surfing or ice skating!