Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Annual Heart Check-Up

• Annual Heart Check-Up

Posted by matt-lafleur on August 23, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Even though getting your heart checked every year isĀ strongly recommended for all FA patients, I’ve only been doing them for the past three years. Before that I didn’t know it was recommended.

I had my cardiologist appointment this week. They performed a sonogram on my heart and an EKG. The doctor was thankful I have an Apple watch, as it tracks my heartbeat whenever I wear it.

Do you go to a cardiologist every year? Have you learned anything new or helpful from them?

clester replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 25, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I haven’t been to get my heart checked in three years also but plan to get an appointment soon.

• clester

August 27, 2019 at 11:12 am

My wife was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
    Since we started doing our traveling thing and camping we were able to cut her heart medication in half and it’s still getting better so far.
    Hope this helps others as well. Don’t know if it’s the camping, the food we eat, the enjoyment, or what, but it’s working. Also cut her insulin by 6 units a day so far and is still getting better(even when she eats things she shouldn’t like cake, she doesn’t spike nearly as bad as she used to). Her feet swelling went away and the color came back to normal.

• clester

August 27, 2019 at 11:17 am

And yes her cardiologist approved the cutting of her medication.
    I’ve gotten used to, when she isn’t feeling right to check her blood sugar and her blood pressure. Which is how I caught the need to cut the medications. (especially since the Dr tried to kill her).