Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Alcoholic beverages with FA

• Christina Cordaro

November 19, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Alcohol and FA definitely makes things harder. When I am out in public I try to limit myself to one or two drinks because my walking becomes more sloppy and my speech is harder to understand because it becomes more slurred. I get frustrated because I feel like I cannot go out and enjoy myself sometimes!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 3, 2019 at 2:27 pm

When I was younger, 18-24, alcohol did me like everyone else. While my balance declined while drinking, my spasticity also declined, sometimes even improving walking.

Beginning around 26, I could sense a more negative impact on my well-being. I have no taken a drink after that, except twice. Both times resulted in bad sleep for weeks, occasional isolated arrhythmia for two weeks as well as feeling. I don’t know the reason for this: perhaps my FA has progressed and the metabolic effects of alcohol, being an oxidative agent – my body just feels it more at this stage.

Good riddance to it though!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 3, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Oh, there are a few typos. After the word ‘feeling,’ I meant to add ” … weak.”

• Christina Cordaro

December 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm

@david I also experience bad sleeping patterns when I consume alcohol. You would think it’s the reverse effect but I find my body feeling more restless. This is how I learned my limits with alcohol.

• Fi

December 12, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I don’t get any long term side effects and it doesn’t effect my sleeping. I don’t drink much when y’all do drink though. One serve kinda improves my larger movements. Totally much more and everything requires more effort and more concentration.

• Frankie Perazzola

December 12, 2019 at 4:35 pm

What and how much do you specifically drink?

• Fi

January 28, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Frankie,

1-2 glasses of red wine or 1-2 mixed drinks (rum/bourbon and coke, baileys and milk etc). My personal tell that I’m nearing too much for the Ataxia is that the palms of my hands get this almost furry sensation. 😂😂

Fi xx