• Better Together

Posted by katie-griffith on July 27, 2021 at 10:00 am

In this month’s column, I talk about the importance of finding a community who can really understand what you’re going through. Whether they live in your state or across the country, there is nothing like having people to share joys and trials with. My family has found this bond when we gather with our FA community or our FAmily as we often say. Has  your family been able to find a community like this? What are some ways you have found to connect?

katie-griffith replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • christina-cordaro

July 28, 2021 at 8:31 am

Witn COVID taking place and not being able to attend events in person, social media has been a key role player. People having social media to keep in touch with one another has been a great tool to stay connected to the FA Community!

• katie-griffith

July 28, 2021 at 6:11 pm

I agree! One of the perks of social media for sure.

• karina-jeronimides

July 28, 2021 at 6:49 pm

I met one FAer who lives in Cyprus over Facebook. We have messaged quite a bit, and she’s been a fountain of help. Because of her, I’ve tried to connect with other FAers, but I have not clicked as much.  I have a few disabled friends where I live, that I see once every month or two.  It’s nice to commiserate, but they are all in couples, and that is really hard if you are not.  They also all have parents who visit them and are present, unlike mine – this makes me want to scream.  I know it’s my fault if I never focused as much on friendships because I was working full time, taking care of kids full time, and have FA [ my ex left when my kids were very small : 2&5]. It’s just really hard to find the time to care for myself, and keep up with others.  But my PT, who has been working with me for almost 2 years, is really wonderful.  She has a hidden disability.

Anyways, yes, I actively reach out to other disabled people, as only they seem to truly get the problems I face.

• katie-griffith

July 29, 2021 at 6:23 am

I’m glad you have found some support, Karina! I agree, it is challenging to have the time when you are raising a family. So thankful for good Physical Therapists! My son has a great one who is so helpful and supportive as well.
      So glad you are part of the forum 😊