This year’s annual International Ataxia Research Conference (IARC) will be taking place in Pisa, Italy from September 27 to 30.
Held in the city center of Pisa in the Tuscany area of Italy, conference visitors will also be able to see some of the city’s amazing Roman architecture and history, including the world famous Leaning Tower of Pisa and the birthplace of the father of modern science: Galileo Galilei.
Here are some useful things to know about the upcoming event:
- The currency in Italy is the Euro. Major credit cards are accepted at most shops, restaurants and hotels.
- The conference will be conducted in English. There will be no translations services available.
- The weather is expected to be warm, although there may be occasional showers.
- Electrical points in Italy are two-pin 220 volts. You may require transformers and adapter plugs.
- Consult with your Consulate or the Italian Embassy to establish if you need a VISA to travel to Italy.
- The conference is hosted by Ataxia UK, Go Far Friedreich’s Ataxia Research and Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance.
- The 3.5-day event aims to deliver a comprehensive review of scientific research into different forms of ataxia.
- The event will be attended by patients, caregivers, medical researchers, pharmaceutical companies, specialist clinicians, and patient group representatives.
- Some of the presentations planned include: “Elucidating the genetic background of childhood-onset ataxias”, “Addressing mitochondrial function in a mouse model with Friedreich’s ataxia”, “Summaries and lessons learned from Friedreich’s ataxia clinical trials” and “The natural history of spinocerebellar ataxias.”
- Registration for the conference can be completed online.
Friedreich’s Ataxia News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.